Henne was in the Big Forest Frameworks workshop to build is first frame, a lugged…Continue Reading
We build custom bike frames out of Potsdam, Germany, and also offer a frame building course where you can learn how to build your own frame.
Big Forest Frameworks offers custom handmade frames from the highest quality steel Reynolds and Columbus has to offer.
Dreaming of building your own frame? I can show you how. Sign up for one of our frame building courses and I can help your dreams to become reality.
Komplette Fahrräder fangen normalerweise bei ungefähr 2500€ an. Ruf mich an oder schicke eine E-mail, damit wir über Dein Traumrad reden können. Dann kann ich ein Preisangebot machen. Unten siehst Du die Preise für unsere Rahmen ohne Zubehör.
Your Custom Frame From Big Forest Frameworks
1. Send me an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on the phone, 0 177 409 8465. If you call and I am not there, please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you live in Potsdam or Berlin or aren’t too far away ask me to set up an appointment so you can come by the shop and check out first hand what I’m up to. I can also measure you personally to fit your frame. Please feel free to visit me even if you haven’t decided to purchase a frame from me. I enjoy showing people my shop and would love to have you visit me!
2. Tell me about your dream bike! Some people have a very specific idea of what they want. In that case the more you can tell me the better. On the other hand some people really like what I do but don’t have a very specific vision of what their custom frame should look like. I love it when people love what I do and let me be relatively free with the build.
3. Measure your body using my fit kit and send me the results. You’ll need a friend, a book, and a pencil. Measure twice to be sure the numbers are ok!
4. In a few days I will get back to you with the first suggestion for your frame geometry. We might go back and forth a couple of times with this, or you might be happy and we can move on to the next step. Once we are both happy, 50% of the frame cost is due before I can get started.
5. Current wait time for a frame is 2-3 months from the time I receive the deposit. If you like I can send you pics of the build process as it goes along, some people print these poster size and have them framed! Once the frame is done, the balance on the bill is due, and I prep the frame for shipping. If you live in Germany you’ll have it in a couple of days! If you order a complete bike, the balance is due 4 weeks before the expected ship date so that I have time to stock the parts before the frame is finished. Many of the boutique brands you see on my bikes are imported directly from the manufacturer in the USA and shipping takes a minimum of two weeks and occasionally up to four.
Bicycles may change, but cycling is timeless.Zapata Espinoza
Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.Eddy Merckx
A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke.Scott Stoll
Build Your Own Frame
Build your dream bike yourself! We work together one on one to build your dream bike. We start with your ideas, the small details that you always wanted to have on your frame. We measure your body and your current bike to fine tune the geometry so that your new frame finally fits the way you want it to, and choose the tube set to give your frame the ride qualities that you choose. After a bit of practice with mitering tubes and brazing them together we can get to work. With every miter and each time you take the torch in your hand you’ll see the frame you’ve been dreaming about slowly become a reality. I can honestly tell you that it is a great experience to ride the frame that you built with your own hands for the first time!
A few words about my frame building courses… I generally recommend to first build a lugged frame (Lugged Fixie, Road, or Trekking Bike, see below). Building a frame with lugs is easier, goes much faster than without lugs, and brazing lugs is much easier than without lugs (fillet brazing). But, you can also build a lugless frame as your first frame, it just takes more time (I offer two courses, Mountain Bike or Road Bike). If you have the time and money, I recommend the Master Frame Building Course, in which we first build a lugged frame, and then a lugless frame in 10 days. This is really a great introduction into frame building, especially if you think you might continue building frames after the course is over!
Here are three of our most popular frame building courses and how they compare. There are many more below if you don't see what you are looking for!
Multi Week/Multi Frame, Single Frame, Fork, and Partial Courses
Master Course Dream Ride Lugged Mountain Bike - We build three frames together over three weeks. I recommend to first build a lugged frame, then a normal filled brazed frame, and finally the third frame will be custom lugged mountain bike, with lugs that you will fillet braze yourself. Lugged mountain bikes are really something special, and you will be very happy when yours is finished! Check one out here. 15 days, 1:1 2900 Euro, 2:1 2250 Euro + material cost
Master Frame Building Course - We build two frames together over 10 Days. I recommend to first build a lugged frame, and then a normal fillet brazed frame (any kind). This is a really great course for people that are interested in continuing to build frames on their own after the course is over. You will be much more confident and faster when you start the second fillet brazed frame than if it was your first frame. By building two frames what you learn will with stay with you longer through repetition, than if you only build a single frame. 10 Tage, 1:1 1950 Euro, 2:1 1490 Euro + material cost
Rigid Fork Frame Building Course - Build a rigid fork to fit your frame! Though this course is meant to be combined with one of my other course, it is also a great introduction to frame building. You could book this course, spend a day with me building your fork, and by the end of it you'll know if you would like to continue with your frame. 1 day, 1:1 190 Euro, 2:1 150 Euro, not including material costs.
Fast Track Frame Building Course: We build the front triangle of your frame in 2 days, I finish the frame alone. 850 Euro + Material Cost
Two Hour Frame Building Course: Stop by the workshop, cut your first tubes, give fillet brazing a test drive. It will definitely be fun and you'll have a better idea if a one week course is right for you. 25 Euro
Custom Lugged Mountain Bike Frame Building Course - You can't buy lugs four a mountain bike, so lugged mountain bikes are really something special. As a beginner, you can however build your own lugged mountain bike in one week. I will build the lugs beforehand, so when you arrive to start your course they are ready to go. At the end of the course you'll have a really special frame to build up! As a beginner this course is really a great way to build something special straight from the first frame. 5 Days, 1:1, 1550 Euro, 2:1 1050 Euro, including Fork Building Course + material cost
Fillet Brazed (Lugless) Mountain Bike Frame Building Course - Build your own mountain bike without lugs. Frame building without lugs is somewhat more time intensive than with lugs. As a beginner you just need to have a bit of patience, but you can do it! No prior experience is necessary with brazing. Does not include a fork, but can be combined with my fork building class (add 150 Euro and 1 day)., or add a suspension or carbon fork as an option. up to 5 days, 1:1 950 Euro, 2:1 750 Euro + material cost.
Fillet Brazed (Lugless) Fixie, Road, or Trekking Bike Frame Building Course - Build your own fixie, road, or trekking bike without lugs. Frame building without lugs is somewhat more time intensive than with lugs. As a beginner you just need to have a bit of patience, but you can do it! No prior experience is necessary with brazing. Does not include a fork, but can be combined with my fork building class (add 150 Euro and 1 day), or add a suspension or carbon fork as an option. up to 5 Days, 1:1 950 Euro, 2:1 750 Euro + material costs.
Lugged Fixie, Road, or Trekking Bike Frame Building Course - Build your own fixie, road, or trekking bike with lugs. Frame building with lugs is a great way to build your first frame. Lugged frames take less time to build than lugless frames, and brazing with lugs is easier than without. No prior experience is necessary with brazing. Highly recommended for beginners! Does not include a fork, but can be combined with my fork building class (add 150 Euro and 1 day), or add a suspension or carbon fork as an option. up to 3 Days, 1:1 590 Euro, 2:1 450 Euro + material cost.
Cool Stuff We've Been Doing
The Faces Behind Big Forest Frameworks
It takes more than frame building skills to run a business, and Robert, our multi-talent…
Robert founded Big Forest Frameworks with the vision to build his own dream bikes that…
Robert has the coolest job at Big Forest Frameworks, he gets to test out all…
Big Forest Frameworks is located in Potsdam, Germany
Feel free to visit me in my workshop! But, I am not always there, so please contact me beforehand to arrange for an appointment.